Thursday, May 03, 2012

London 2012: Hampton Court Palace Pt. 2

Imagine, beautiful lush green gardens, the scent of fresh flowers, and the feeling that you have no where else in the world to be at the moment.... Isn't that an amazing thought? well, for two hours on my trip I was able to lose myself in that imaginary place at the Gardens at Hampton Court Palace. Words can't express the feeling of grandeur and sense of royalty that you automatically feel when you walk around this place. But anywho, in these pictures I tried to some how encapsulate that. I'll try to explain where we are as we go along but here is a link to the Map of the Palace Gardens.

These shots are of "The Wilderness" just after you walk past the Rose Garden. It is one of those situations of planned chaos. It is no question though that is completely beautiful.
 







I first saw these birds last year... they are so beautiful.

The Rose Garden

These next shots are after you have passed through the Wilderness and on to the back side of the Palace. In the picture on the left you see the back side of the palace. On the right of the picture are the royal tennis courts. Young Henry VIII loved to play tennis as well as the current young royals like Prince William.


The first thing you can't help but notice are the massive trees lining the walk ways. I have no idea what kind they are but they reminded me of the Mushrooms from Super Mario World. haha.


Hershey Kisses anyone? :)

Love the Weeping Willows... so beautiful.

I think this is a Crane. haha He was pretty upset that I was there whatever it is.

A Duck.
On the other side of that fence are hundreds of deer/stags. Back in the day Henry VIII, would hunt on these grounds. Inside the Great Hall of the Palace, you'll find many mounted heads and racks. Pretty awesome.

Future home of the Jubilee Fountain.








I love the facade of these buildings... so regal.

Well there's me. haha

These next shots are from the "Privy Garden". This space was reserved for Royalty and those at Court or given invitation to visit. Again, just think about the conversations and decisions that have changed the world which could have taken place in this garden... it's crazy to me.






There are so many statues... so pretty.








Not really sure if I like this kind of picture but just thought I'd try it.

The Hedge Hall




Love this shot.
The Knot Gardens



The Pond Gardens.... The Building in the back ground is called the Banqueting House.











Well, I'm going to end my photos of Hampton Court here. I loved this place so much and wish I could share more info about it but that would take forever. This palace is the closest thing England has to offer in comparison to the French Versailles. If you ever get the chance to come visit here... take it and make time to explore it all. There is so much that I just didn't have time to do, even though I came here twice while I was in London.  The best way to get here is to take the Tube to Victoria Station and then take the over ground train to Hampton Court station. It's literally right across the river from the palace. You can also take a river cruse down the Thames if you fancy it on a nice summer day. It is a beautiful place of enchantment and dreams.... 



Next up is my trip to Stonehenge and Oxford. See you then... :)

Update: I forgot to put this one in. This is a picture of the pub/bar just around the corner from HCP, it's called "The Cardinal Wolsey" named of course for the Cardinal who was so close to Henry VIII's heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts and comments. :)