Saturday, November 17, 2012

Paris 2012: Part Four Notre Dame Inside and Out


Welcome to Paris 2012 Part Four the final blog about my day trip to Paris back in April of 2012. I'm not really going to talk a whole lot about the ins and outs of Notre Dame. My experience there was a very solemn, quiet, peaceful, and even spiritual so I'm going to allow you to see what I saw and let you form your own opinion on it. That being said, here are a few links on where and what the cathedral is.


I'm going to start with pictures from outside and move inside. :) I would suggest listening to this video's audio while looking at these pictures. It's hauntingly enchanting and fits so well into grand cathedrals like this... Victimae Paschali Laudes & Alleluia












Now moving inside...






























One of the most beautiful aspects of the Cathedral is the lighting and the use of shadows. The City of Paris set out to "light the cathedral" in 1991 but the project wasn't complete until 2002. The only thing I can say is, it's something you just have to see and experience for yourself. It's captivatingly beautiful.

Go.

One note about the splendor and magnificence of these European Cathedrals is the quote from St. Bernard of Clairvaux, "Oh, vanity of vanities, whose vanity is rivalled only by its insanity! The walls of the church are aglow, but the poor of the Church go hungry. The stones of the church are covered with gold, while its children are left naked. The food of the poor is taken to feed the eyes of the rich, and amusement is provided for the curious, while the needy have not even the necessities of life." Even in the splendor of such a place like this, you have to wonder where the Spirit of Christ was... this questions still exist in the church of America today. Something to think about.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. One thing I gather from the photos is what you said, "It's something you just have to see and experience yourself." I felt that way when I toured the cathedrals and castles in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you go to the one in Seville, Spain? I have some photos of that one in some of my older post. I'd love to visit the ones in Madrid and Barcelona. Which ones did you go to?

      Delete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments. :)