Thursday, April 26, 2012

London 2012: Day One

Hello family, friends, and all who might be interested. Here begins my photographic journey to Europe. It just easier to name the post by days, though these are in no ways consecutive. I'll do my best to give details, interesting facts and info on the places in the pictures. Thanks for your support of my love for travel and well... your support of me. :)
The sunrise on the way into London.... so beautiful. ...landing at 6:55am and not being able to check in to your place to stay until 2pm... not so beautiful. haha... but alas.. all is well.


YHA Central London Hostel. This was my home in London for 5 days... Love this place and HIGHLY recommend it for anyone staying in London and want to be close to everything. 

This is Great Portland St. close to Camden Town which is apart of Greater London. There is an actual City of London and then "Greater London" which is comprised of several districts/zones like City Of Westminster, Camden Town, Chelsea, etc This is probably my favorite section of London. I could totally see myself living here some day.




The first day I was there I was in a total fog. Mostly because I'd only had 4 hours of sleep the night before I left and didn't really sleep at all on the plane ride... So I walked around aimlessly for about 7 hours while waiting for time to check into the hostel. Also, the first 4 days I was in London were unseasonably warm, pleasant, and sunny... no fog. Imagine that.

There were so many people out that day, it was nuts. It was during the time of the "Changing of The Guards". Pretty popular event but honestly not all that spectacular... until the Guard Band? (I guess that's what they are) started playing MJ's THRILLER... I almost died. It was great. I talked with a couple the next day on a tour that I was on and they said that Prince Charles was out strutting around and that's why the crowds were out.  Below is some snap shots from around Buckingham Palace, Victoria Memorial, St. James Park, & The Admiralty Arch.



Queen Victoria Memorial Info Link








St. James Park Info Link





View of the London Eye from St. James Park



The Admiralty Arch Info Link

The Mall Info Link




Some houses and shops on Whitehall Rd.



One of the tubes to THE Tube

Trafalgar Square Info Link

2012 Olympics Count Down Clock

View down Whitehall Rd.
This is one thing I've always wanted to do and finally got the chance to visit the only standing residence of Ben Franklin... which oddly enough is in London and not in the US. Its a fun little side tour for about 45 minutes of your time. Worth it.




I'll end here with my pictures for today. Next up... Hampton Court Palace... Where Henry VIII lived and a couple of his Headless wives...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts and comments. :)