Tuesday, June 19, 2012

London 2012: Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, and The Parliament Building

Here are some pictures of Westminster Abbey and the surrounding area. Westminster is the seat of English Government and is a popular tourist area so plan to go on days during the week to avoid the lines and crowds. On Wednesdays you can actually go and hear the Prime Minister speak and watch the bickering back and forth between parliament members.

I know these all probably look like the same picture but they aren't and there are some subtle differences between them... you'll just have to pay close attention. :)



Just hanging out in front of the abbey... nbd... haha

One of my favorites!

Gothic architecture amazes me... how they did all that without modern equipment blows my mind.



The area known as the Cloister. (info)


Pretty important people up there... can you recognize Martin Luther King Jr. or Gandhi?



The Methodist Central Hall (Info) across the street from Westminster Abbey



Big Ben and the Parliament Building (Info)








The older looking building on the left is called the Jewel Tower. It's one of two remaining structures from the medieval palace of Westminster. (Info)


I'll end my London pics here... but I do have a bunch pictures of London at night that I'll put in a later post. I think next up will really be Paris. :) Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. I can't wait to be able to visit myself.
    A question, Isn't Big Ben the clock and not the tower?
    These are great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Ben is actually the name of the Bell in the Tower. The Tower itself was recently named "Elizabeth Tower" in honor of Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee. ...However, around London, I'm pretty sure it will always hold the name "Big Ben" for the whole thing, tower and bell.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments. :)